Menu

° Home ° About ° Links ° Contact °

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dear Kayla: hobbies, work, and international living

Dear Kayla,

Dear dear dear Kayla, I miss ya bud. I've finally gotten used to life over here, and I'm busy!

I feel you with the post-grad what-is-my-life-where-am-I-going-what-do-I-want-ahhhhh-anxiety. As much as I prepared for this trip, knowing I needed to escape my comfort zone and challenge myself, being here is far from what I expected. Or at least, I haven't felt the way I expected. Now that's I'm a month in, I am more open to where life will take me. I know to expect the unexpected. Who freakin' knows man. It's scary and exciting. But to make things happen for myself, jobs, opportunities, adventures, friendships, I have to be active. I have to seek them, passionately.

The biggest problem for me is being interested to SO MANY THINGS. They all captivate me. I thought while I was in Peru I would have some much time to read and look for jobs and study, etc. And I have had time, I just worry I'm spreading myself too thin. I'm staying here with my aunt, uncle (tios) and cousin (primo). My tios have four kids, all of them grown (although it's common here for kids to live with their parents until they get married). Anyway my cousin Yulissa plays guitar, but she's living in the States now. So lucky me gets to use her old classical and electric guitar. Woooooo. I'm pretty used to classical guitars, so I've been fooling around with the electric a lot, learning power chords and some of my favorite songs. But I have to write lesson plans as well and REALLY study Spanish. I have to leave the house at 8AM XD and this sucks. It means I have go to sleep around 11 or 11:30, which is so strange for me. My previous bedtime was around 2AM. I have to do all my activities (including blog posts) from 12-5pm.

And it continues. I also read Tina Fey's book Bossypants about a week ago [which I totally recommend to you, Kayla, and all you other readers out there]. I am currently immersed in Ernest Cline's novel Ready Player One. It's kind of a problem [I'm half way through and oh-mah-g freaking favorite book of the year so far]. I had to force myself to stop reading it so I could prepare for my Spanish exam today. So how I'm supposed to be the best teacher I can be, while also studying, reading heavily, playing guitar, and taking in a healthy gulp of Peruvian life? Time to make with the schedule I suppose. As you posted in a WM once, spend your life doing what you enjoy. I don't want to give anything up [in fact I want to add Yoga classes and volunteering as well>.<] but I think after my second month of Spanish classes, I'll stop. I want to learn as much as I can, but just communicating will help with that. Stress is not becoming of a lady either lol and I want to put enough effort into each of my activities.

Also woo Game of Thrones. It's over so sad. The books are amazing I've heard, need to get on that too. I actually have watched Arrested Development, but haven't started the new series yet. I was watching a lot of The Big Bang Theory over here [a student recommend it] but I laid off the juice around mid third season. I'm replacing TV with YouTube and book for now. Also way to lay off the cheese haha I have as well although only because I'm no longer working at a pizza place. Eating my aunt's cooking and the Peruvian cuisine makes me feel in better health that I've been in for a long time. More on that later in a What's in Your Noms? post. I'll leave you with this image of Lima. I'm living behind to the left of those two white buildings.

Hasta luego,

Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment