Menu

° Home ° About ° Links ° Contact °

Saturday, January 19, 2013

What’s in my Noms? | Intro & Vitamin A

I love food. When we started this blog one of my goals was to cook more at home. I made this curry last week! Overall I’ve been doing better. But what is actually in my food that makes it healthy? This is something I want to find out. Do I need to eat more vegetables than grain foods? What am I eating too much of and what do I need more of? And generally, what’s IN my noms? These are just some of the questions I’ll be asking in my series of health and food related posts.

Vitamins

You hear the word a lot; I know vitamin D can be found in milk, and vitamin C in oranges. But what do they actually do for my body and my health? Vitamins help living things, like bloggers and other humans, sustain life. The nutrients our body can’t produce itself, it must find in foods—vitamins. In my next posts I'll give a little more information. I think I might even stop by the library. For now my sources are as follows:
http://www.vitamina.org/index.php
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/195878.php

Vitamin A - Retinol

Benefits
Improves night vision, eye sight, immune system, healthy skin, etc.

Deficiency
Night blindness, decreased growth, kidney stones, slow wound heal, dry skin, etc.

Overdosage
toxic to the liver, brain, skin, and will turn skin yellow

Food sources!
carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, butter, kale, spinach, pumpkin, cheddar cheese, egg, apricot, papaya, mango, milk, tomatoes, and more.


Until next time,
Ginny

No comments:

Post a Comment